[DrC Network] November Issue

Dear alums and friends,

The sweet November has come; but let's face it - it is just an ambiguous month when everyone decides to catch a cold so as to get better in time for Christmas festivities. But no worries. Our November issue has some good news to cheer you up: a pair seals the deal, another gets warmed up, while the rest of us (well mostly) stare blankly at the distant clouds and the deep blue sky. Empathy helps sometimes, you know.

Our friend, Alex Foster (B.A., Mathematics, Class of '08) sealed the deal with Vika from Russia on Oct 12. They called Abraham a cupid, but let no lie be told: Google Translate was the true cupid (By the way, Google was founded by an American, Larry Page, and a Russian, Sergei Brin). Alex, fully immersed in the honeymoon bliss, is now a vocal advocate of marriage:
"The wedding was amazingly blessed by God.  Every step of the way, God opened up the doors for us to be married.  It was difficult to plan, and there were many hurdles along the way, but God wanted our marriage to happen, and it happened.  We trusted God, and we relied on his perfect plan.  It was amazing to see how God was working.  We learned to trust God and to always rely on him.  I highly recommend that anyone who desires to marry to put their hope and trust in God.  Wait for his plan, and it will be perfect.
We've been blessed by God working in our life and by Jesus helping us every step of the way.  We've realized that it's important to focus on God first and foremost and then on the other person and then on everything else.  Priorities matter:  (1) Jesus, (2) Spouse, (3) Kids, (4) Ministry, (5) Everything Else.  It's very easy to invert this, and it is especially easy to become selfish and focus only on yourself.  We make it our priority to focus on the other person in the sight of God.  So far, so good.  But we know that it won't always be easy, but we're ready by the grace of God to trust in Jesus, and let him guide us and help us through every stage of our life together."

[Sigh. If only US and Russia could adore each other this much.]

Well, the warming up pair, is none other than our dictator, Jeremiah (Ph.D. candidate, Physics, Class of '15), and sweet Yaejin (Ph.D. candidate, Kinesiolgy, Class of '16). If you haven't already, read their engagement testimonies below. Here's my digest: Jeremiah invoked the legendary Sir Isaac Newton and Saint Paul as main excuses for his singleness. And in theory, his devotion to the ideology remains marrow-deep."I highly valued singleness. In fact I still do. Now I made a decision to marry, but if someone intends to pursue singleness I will always encourage and honor one’s decision, just as St.Paul did." But everything changed for him on one beautiful summer day when Yaejin cleaned up his apartment. He recalls to have felt 'affinity' then (One would think he is a Frankenstein or Wall-e). Let us say, he passed a small amendment for himself like a true dictator. Yaejin, doesn't beat around the bush: she expressed openly that she liked him ("I ha[d] a good impression [of] Jerry pretty much soon after I met him. I thought he was nice because of his innocent, kind and unique personality"). 'Affinity' made in heaven, period.


[A possible victim of Jeremiah's ideology poses unknowingly]

Then there's the rest of us. Most of us don't have much going on at the moment, but that's okay. God still loves us just as much as He loves those love birds. Our homeless friend, Abraham Song (B.S., Business Administration, Class of '11) reports to have finally turned off the air conditioner to conserve energy. His parents visited him again this year to be an encouragement but more so to flee the Russian cold. He and Patrick continue to meet daily to read the Bible and pray. The members are beginning to grow mellow with one another but more importantly, receptive to God's Word. They are currently preparing for a Christmas service which will be held on Dec 21, and they intend to outreach to their friends on campus. Pray for Joseph and Abraham who are applying to graduate schools at the moment.


[FYI, Cyprus is not in Africa]

We've also received pleasant news from charming Miriam (B.A., Music, Class of '11), who teaches people music. She is enjoying the time of her life, while not loosening on her strict spiritual regimen either:
"I am blessed and grateful for the job opportunity that was given to me to teach in Chicago. It is an amazing school full of students who love to learn. I teach a number of high school classes along with a few elementary school classes. I also teach about 10 private lessons of voice and piano after school and I conduct a youth choir as well. So far I have loved each day of work and I have been blessed with staff members and administrators that are extremely supportive and caring. I was able to bring my high school choir to Champaign two weeks ago. They had two master classes with my conducting professors and attended the Black Chorus concert. It was a great time! It is my prayer and passion to be an excellent teacher and role model for my students through music. 
I attend the Chicago main center for weekly Sunday service and study the bible one to one with Mother Sarah Barry. It has been a blessing to have a church community and to be able to grow with a family in Christ. I am living with one of my best friends Hayoung and we are having a wonder time together. She is like a sister to me and we are able to keep one another accountable and support each other each day.
Thank you to all those in Champaign that continue to pray for me. I will never forget my five years with Deeper Roots in Christ and everyone will always be like family to me. Time is already passing by quickly in my new season of life in Chicago. My prayer topic is to be fully devoted to the Lord each day in my spiritual, personal, and work life."

[No doubt the two teachers are well-qualified vocally but here, at least, more obvious is their superior sartorial taste]

* If you have some updates, please let me know for the next issue. And if you've spotted errors, good. If the errors are life-threatening, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abe! I really enjoy your updates and reading your cute commentary. Keep up the good work!

Ryan B.